Friday, May 31, 2013

Project Sewn Week 4: Signature Look

When I told my husband the theme for the final week of Project Sewn was to be my "Signature Look," I jokingly told him I guess that meant I should make a pair of sweats and a t-shirt!  As a stay-at-home-mom, I don't have a lot of opportunities to dress up.  Most days in the summer it's a pair of khaki bermudas and a t-shirt.  I'm okay with that - I love to be comfy and play with my kids without worrying about ruining my clothes.  If I really think about my signature style or what kind of clothing defines me, there are a few simple adjectives that come to mind.  Comfortable and casual would definitely be staples.  I love a touch of vintage but nothing too frilly.  I really love a good peasant top, which is obvious by the 5 or 6 tops of that style that I already own!  So, for my signature look, I created a peasant top and a pair of breezy linen capris that really suit my style!



For the top, I actually revamped a top I had previously made.  Confession time:  after making the top and blogging about it, I never wore it.  Not even once.  I honestly never felt that comfortable in it although I absolutely adored the fabric!



To turn the top into something I would love and wear, I got out the trusty seam ripper and removed the entire top portion above the pleats.  I used a peasant top pattern to create a new bodice and sewed it to the existing bottom portion and was instantly so much happier with the top!  I used some white eyelet for the bodice and lined everything but the sleeves.  I think it has a romantic and slightly vintage vibe, but still looks fresh and perfect for summer.





I made a simple pair of capris from some white linen and only wish I had added pockets.  I still might add some back pockets, although the tunic length covers most of the top of the pants.  I definitely foresee wearing these capris with many other tops, though!  



I truly love this outfit, which is really the essence of someone's signature style.  If you don't love it and you wouldn't reach for it in the closet, is it really your style?  It may not be sweats and a t-shirt but it's an outfit that I can feel confident and happy in, even chasing the twin terrors around :)  



My best attempt at being a model...don't judge, people.  I think I'll stick to sewing!

Thanks for all the kind comments about my outfits during this sew-along!  If you love this one as much as I do, I would appreciate it if you would head over to Project Sewn and VOTE for me!  I'm #20!  Have a great weekend!


Big thanks to my awesome BFF Shannon Miller for coming over to take these pictures for me, even though I waited until the 11th hour!  :)

5 comments:

  1. Great outfit!
    I really like that top, and you look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo!! This looks so fresh and so clean! I love it. And who doesn't love a good peasant top??? This is a perfect example of a signature style. I love it.
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a nice summery outfit. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!