Monday, May 20, 2013

Lavender Lovelies - Vintage Pillowcase Dresses

My best friends recently brought me a treasure of an estate sale find - two gorgeous matching vintage pillowcases!  Although purple isn't usually my favorite color, these lavender floral pillowcases are truly lovely.  


The pillowcases have a pretty floral print that gets a bit larger as you move towards the open end and then finishes with a scalloped edge border in solid lavender.  Also, the fabric is crazy soft...like pick up your baby and hold her just because her dress feels super awesome.


The craziest part is that I believe the actual pillowcases were handmade as well!  There weren't any factory finished edges inside, which makes me wonder!  I'm thinking it's pretty awesome if they were handmade and then I reused them to make something else handmade!  


I was originally going to take the lazy route and just make the simplest version of a pillowcase dress with some grosgrain ties, but after my little revelation about the handmade nature of these pillowcases, I decided to spend the extra time and put some effort into it :)  I used the leftover fabric from the top to make the ties.


I also lined the dresses which makes them look so much nicer.  I stuck with the theme and used some fabric cut from a thrifted white sheet for the lining.  White sheets are definitely my go-to fabric for linings!


I love bold modern prints too, but mostly the simple beauty of a vintage floral is what makes me happy.  The girls seem to be quite happy with them as well :)



This picture.  It stops my heart a little bit.  I love these girls.  I love making them things that they can hopefully pass on to their own daughters someday.  This is why I sew.


2 comments:

  1. I love fun finds like that! The dresses turned out great :)

    Kayla @ www.stitch-it-up.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so gorgeous - what a great idea!

    I would love for you to link up at the Empty Your Archive party which has children's clothes as one of it's themes this week - Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!