Monday, May 13, 2013

Big Girl Quilts Update!

It's been awhile since I posted about the girls' big girl quilts!  All I can say is, it's a good thing that we don't have any immediate plans to put them in twin beds because it's going to be awhile before these quilts are done!  I have made some progress, though, in the form of a TON of cutting!


These are all the fat quarters cut in half...63 pieces for each quilt.  It's quite a stack!


At least I am still completely in love when I look at this pretty stack of fabric!  In the "less appealing" category...all the white backing squares had to be cut as well.  Yikes.



Now that everything is cut, I need to get ruffling.  I did a couple of test blocks to see how I wanted to go about gathering all those rectangles into squares.  At first I did a traditional gathering method where I sewed a basting stitch on each long edge and pulled the threads to gather.  After doing one block, I knew I didn't want to go that route!  So I put the ruffler foot on my serger and played around with some test scraps to get the settings just right.  It can be a bit tricky to set the tension so that the pieces gather to exactly the length I need.  After a few tries, I have the right settings and now I just need to ruffle, ruffle, ruffle!


Yay, my first block completed!  125 to go!  I need to get moving.


Wish me luck!  Hopefully my next update is a nice big stack of completed blocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!