Monday, March 4, 2013

Thinking Summer: Joel Dewberry Sunsuit

I had a special request from an Etsy customer for a little romper or sunsuit to coordinate with the dress I was making for her older daughter.  I've had this Little Lizard King sunsuit pattern for awhile and haven't had a chance to make one yet, so this was the perfect opportunity!  I have to say, I die a small death of cuteness overload every time I look at it!


I used one of my favorite fabrics of all time - Joel Dewberry's Ornate Floral in Amber paired with Tile Flourish in Amber from his Heirloom Collection.  The front is ridiculously cute and then you turn it around and see the back...


It's a stunner, that's for sure!  I really enjoyed this pattern, too.  Little Lizard King patterns are really simple fabric cuts, usually with just one or two pattern pieces.  This one has a crotch cut out piece and the rest are just rectangles of fabric!  I'd say this is best for an advanced beginner because there is a lot of ruffling involved, but the pattern walks you through each technique step by step.  


The cut neck strap measurements make a shorter strap and smaller bow, but she also includes directions for making a really long strap and big bow, which of course I went for!  A huge bow really makes an outfit for me :) 


There are two different options for the bum ruffles - regular ruffles that are hemmed on the bottom and sides or ruffles that you serge on the top and bottom and stitch on through the center.  I opted for the first style, but I think either one would be adorable.  I can't wait to make this one again!

I was not compensated in any way for my opinions here.  All opinions are my own and this is strictly an informational post on a pattern I enjoyed making!

7 comments:

  1. OMG this is cute!! I'm a sucker for rompers, and this one turned out sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready to be making some of these for summer! Love the fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This is killing me! I’d love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns to share are invited to link up!
    http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the bow in the back! Gorgeous fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute!! I love the fabrics you used! It will be perfect for summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that fabric!!! I sewed up this pattern a couple times, but never thought to do that big bow - that's yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!