Monday, February 18, 2013

Appliqued Elmo Pillowcase Tunic

I recently had the pleasure of making a pair of adorable little Elmo themed tunics for a fellow twin mama.  Her sweet little girls were celebrating their 2nd birthday Elmo style and she wanted some fun tops for them to wear to the party!


She showed me a picture she had found online of a similar style dress, but she was looking for a shirt to wear with leggings.  We settled on tunic length so the Elmo face wouldn't be too overwhelming :)  


I traced an Elmo image I found online and then cut each piece of the face out of the right color fabric and used Steam-a-Seam Lite to attach it to the fabric.  I then appliqued around the edge of each piece.  That was a bit time consuming, LOL.  I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, though!


My girls were all too happy to model the tops for me in the pictures!  My friend's daughters are quite a bit smaller than my girls, but that's one of my favorite things about pillowcase style tops/dresses.  The fit is so forgiving!  The tops fit quite a bit longer on the intended children, but the width worked just fine on my skinny little girlies.


Instead of fabric ties, my friend opted for grosgrain ribbon and I think it looks super cute.  My only issue with it is that I think it's a bit harder to adjust the fit of the top.  The ribbon tends to slip around in the casing while fabric ties hold their place a bit better.  


I have been informed that the tunics and the party were both big successes.  Nothing makes me happier than knowing something I made is well loved!

1 comment:

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!