Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Handmade Christmas Gifts: Baby Edition

After having my gallbladder surgery, I didn't really have much time (or feel well enough) to tackle many handmade Christmas projects, but I did manage to make a couple of things for the girls!  Thankfully I had already made a dress for them earlier in the fall that was intended for later winter wear, so that was an easy gift.  Of course after all the fun toys they received  the dress was not exactly on the exciting list!  I have a tutorial in the works for the dress, so I'll share that later this month, but here are a couple of small projects I finished for the girls.



My husband's parents always gave him and his brother an ornament for Christmas each year.  Since my mother-in-law passed away a few years ago, I have wanted to uphold this tradition for our girls in memory of her.  These little Christmas trees were simple to make and the girls love the shiny beads.  I simply cut out a Christmas tree shape from fleece and a matching shape from fabric.  I stitched the fabric to the fleece and then cut off the excess, leaving a fleece border.  I also strung some beads to use as ornaments and hot glued them in place.  The "star" on top is a yellow button, also hot glued on and a simple ribbon hanger.  



They haven't used this gift yet, but I made them some paint!  I followed a recipe I found on Pinterest and all the links seem to just go to a photo.  If anyone knows the original source, let me know so I can give proper credit!  

UPDATE!  Thanks to reader avidcrafter for locating the link!  The original finger paints post can be found here!



The paint turned out a bit thinner than I had hoped, but I may just not have let it thicken long enough.  I tested it out and it works fine, I'll just have to keep a super close eye on the girls so it doesn't drip all over the place!  I made two jars of each color from the original recipe, so it makes quite a bit.  I can't wait to see the creations the girls come up with using paint!

Next up - what I made for grown-ups!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Amanda! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award -- it's one of those chain things that lets people get to know you/each other. No pressure, but if you're interested in sharing, here's the link:
    http://handmademartini.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award-or-more-information.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://easiepeasie.blogspot.com/2010/07/homemade-finger-paints.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! I have updated the post with the link!

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!