Friday, October 12, 2012

KCWC Fall 2012 Day 5: DIY Babylegs

The incredibly fun little argyle tights the girls were sporting with the skirt from yesterday were my DIY version of Babylegs!


The girls have one pair of "real" Babylegs and they absolutely LOVE them.  They ask to wear them all the time!  I really do like the concept of them and I'm thinking they'll be a great thing to have around when we embark on the potty training journey.  Unfortunately, they're a bit pricey, especially when you have to buy two pairs!  I know other people have made their own versions and when I saw some women's knee high socks on Target clearance for $1.75, I decided to jump in and try it myself!+

My first version was basically four steps, from left to right in the photo below:


1. Grab a full length adult knee sock
2. Chop off the "foot" portion right at the ankle
3. Serge or zig zag the raw edge
4. Turn the raw edge under about 1/4" and topstitch in place

They turned out fine and the girls wore them for our skirt photoshoot, but I wasn't totally thrilled with how the bottom looked.  I decided to make a little change.  First I took my discarded foot portion (top of photo) and then cut two 2" sections from the center of the foot (bottom of photo).


I took each 2" tube and folded it in half lengthwise with wrong sides together so the raw edges met up.


Then I slid it over the bottom of the legwarmer and pinned it in place, matching up the raw edges.


Now you just need to serge or zig zag around the bottom raw edge (left) and then flip it down (right).  This gives more of a cuff for the bottom and I am much happier with how it looks!


Babylegs for $1.75?  Yes, please!  Time to scour the hosiery section for more cheap knee high socks!


We're getting close to the end of KCWC!  I am finishing up my massive ruffled leggings project and that's going to about do it for me.  I guess I've made a lot of stuff for below the waist this week, but whatever is needed, right?  Until tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. I love the all the styles of babylegs to choose from. We got the football one for our son and got a lot of comments on them at the game. It kept him warm and it was easier to change his diaper at half-time!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!