Friday, September 7, 2012

Tutorial: Hand Towel Upgrade

We all have these around the house right?


If your house is anything like mine, you received them as gifts around the time you were married, so they've seen some serious use.  Even though the towel part is worn nearly through and they barely absorb water now, I just can't get rid of them.  I have no idea how to crochet in order to make new ones and I love the convenience of having them hanging on the fridge handle for the many hand-washings that go on in the kitchen.  What to do?  Fortunately I recently received some new kitchen towels from my mom and I had this idea...could I fix up the old nasty towels into something prettier and more useful?


Here's what I did!  Lay out your new towel and cut it in half right down the center.  Leave all the finished edges untouched.


Now take your old, decrepit kitchen towel and cut the towel part off right at the bottom of the crocheted section.


Run a gathering stitch across the cut edge of the new towel.  I gathered mine mostly in the middle of the towel, but you could do it all the way across.  It's just personal preference.  Do this for both halves of the towel.  Gather it up until it will fit on the bottom of the crocheted piece.  Since the crocheted piece will not be straight across, this is a bit of trial and error, but just play with it until it fits from edge to edge.


Take both towels and pin them right sides together with the crocheted piece sandwiched in between them.  


Using about a 3/8" seam allowance, stitch through all three layers.  It will be thick so go slow and let the feed dogs do the work on your machine.  If you have a walking foot, now would be a good time to use it!  After I stitched it together, I ran the whole hot mess through my serger to clean up the edges and keep it from unraveling.  If you don't have a serger, I would suggest running a tight zig zag stitch along the edge after you've stitched it together.


Now flip the two towel pieces down and admire your ingenuity!


Yay!  No more nice dishtowel and disgusting hand towel combos...everything is all pretty again!  I have a few more that need this treatment.  Time to get to work!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!