Friday, September 21, 2012

Fall Flower Girl Dress

I recently had the pleasure of making a sweet little flower girl dress for fall!  The bride has chosen a barn wedding with vintage details and colors of burnt orange, tan and brown.  The flower girl's mom is a bridesmaid and they were having trouble finding a flower girl dress they really liked and fit in with the look of the rest of the bridal party, so she asked if I would make one.  Of course I said yes!  


She wanted an ivory dress and we had talked about doing a lace overlay for the skirt, but then I found this gorgeous embroidered cotton at JoAnn's and she and the bride both loved it!  It's a bit hard to capture the details, but here is a close up of some of the lovely flowers on the fabric.


I once again used The Party Dress pattern from Lindsay over at the Cottage Home (previously used on the girls' Easter dresses).  It's such a perfect pattern for special occasions and you can do so much with it.  For this version I omitted the bottom band and just hemmed the dress.  I also fully lined the skirt because the embroidered cotton fabric was a little sheer.


I do love a ginormous bow on a little girl!  The flower girl just turned a year old, so I had to modify Lindsay's pattern a bit to make it fit.  I ended up taking off about 1/2" all the way around on the bodice, but since I wasn't using the bottom band, I did use the 18-24 month measurements for the skirt pieces.  I used some of the embroidered parts of the fabric when making the fabric covered buttons.


One of my favorite parts is the little pleat in the side of the sash.  It's such a small detail, but it is lovely.  The sash was made from one of the bridesmaid's dresses that was shortened.  


I think the flower girl might just steal the show!  

1 comment:

  1. I love the dress, it is nice to add in my flower Girl Dresses thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!