Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sprucing Up the Old Standby Peasant Dress

I love a good peasant dress!  There are tons of tutorials and patterns out there.  I have really been happy with the one I got from Little Lizard King, but there are some good freebies out there too like this one on Indie Tutes or this one on Prudent Baby.  Peasant dresses are great because they're a quick and easy sew, they're super comfy and they are incredibly versatile!  Take this one I just finished for a client.  A few little additions and changes to the pattern and you have a gorgeous boutique style dress!


The first major change I made was to make a double casing of sorts at the neckline so it would ruffle a bit at the top.  This was done in the same way as the top of this dress, only smaller.  I was planning on doing the same thing to the sleeves, but I was running a little short on length so I just hemmed it as usual and then did a couple of rows of shirring about 1/2" from the bottom of the sleeve, creating the same ruffled effect.


I also made a sash and attached a big fabric flower to it.  The flower is two yo-yos stacked together and finished off with a fabric covered button.  Very simple but lots of impact!


The sash ties in back in a huge bow.  You all know how I feel about huge bows :)


My client picked the fabric and I loved the birdie print but I wasn't a huge fan of the stripes at first.  I will say they grew on me as the project went on.  


I also made a super simple rolled fabric flower headband to match.  I used this tutorial and while the instructions aren't great, I just kind of rolled and stitched until it looked the way I liked.


I hope this inspires you to make changes or additions to your basic dress patterns!  

1 comment:

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!