Friday, May 25, 2012

Thrifty Finds

My best friends and I went thrifting yesterday.  Are you a thrifter?  It's definitely something I'm just getting into, but wow...you can find some awesome things!  For someone who sews, the thrift store can be a treasure trove of amazing fabric.  Just look at this pile of knit shirts that will soon be refashioned into toddler scarves.  The scraps are also great for little fabric flowers!


I love this yellow gingham valance.  With the yellow eyelet trim and a premade casing for elastic you've got the easiest baby skirt ever!  The pink fabric is about 2 yards of solid pink broadcloth.  Thrift stores are filled with gorgeous vintage floral pillowcases like the one in the middle and the little green striped situation on the right is definitely on my list of favorites right now.  So cute!


Like I said, it's a fabric lover's dream around there.  We picked up a solid blue sheet, which is great for pretty much anything and that gorgeous white sheet with the blue floral trim that's just perfect for the bottom of a skirt or dress.  I stocked up on some more white sheets which are the best for dress linings or if you need to cut a muslin.  That's probably 8 yards of white cotton for about $4!  The gorgeous vintage floral sheet on the bottom right might just become something for me!  If not, I can probably get 4 or 5 toddler dresses out of it!


I didn't see any vintage patterns or trims laying about, but these curtains were love at first sight.  That gorgeous vintage crocheted lace on the top curtains will be perfect on the hem of a skirt or even the collar of a dress.  I'm not attached to the blue fabric it's sewn onto, but a little seam ripping will take care of that!  I do like the bright green and pink floral print of the curtain on the bottom...I'm thinking maybe Bermuda shorts or little baby bloomers?  Whatever becomes of that fabric, it's the pom pom trim and I that were destined to be friends.  Hot pink pom poms...it doesn't get any better!


All of that is great, but this beauty was definitely the find of the day.  It's a queen size sheet, softer than any voile I've ever touched and the print and colors are incredible.  I can't wait to make dresses for the girls out of this!


Seriously, that print!  Isn't it the prettiest? 


Whether you'll be spending your weekend thrifting, sewing, traveling, or just soaking up the first heat of summer and having a barbecue, I hope everyone has a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!