Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Old Navy Americana Tank Knockoff

Last summer when we were browsing at Old Navy, I saw this ridiculously adorable little tank top.


I don't recall the exact price, but it was enough that there was no way I would spend that much on a tank top for a baby...especially since we needed two!  I decided I could make it myself.  I had recently been given my serger and I thought it was a good time to learn how to use some of the features!  It turned out a little big, so the girls are just starting to wear it this summer.  Here is my version.


I used some white interlock knit from JoAnn's and jumped right in with trying a rolled hem on my serger.  I made a basic tank body and used the serger to make the rolled hem on some additional strips of knit.  I stitched them down in layers and enclosed the top layer in a rib-knit binding.


I made some simple knit flowers from red interlock and attached them with a safety pin between the ruffled layer and the main tank body.  This way I can remove them for washing.


They were perfect and cool for our blazing hot Memorial Day (the poor brown grass)!



It doesn't matter how hot it is when Grandpa has brought you a big new ball!


I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!