Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Absent Blogger & A Grown Up Dress

It's been a chaotic couple of weeks in our household.  First the hubby & I were sick and now the girls have come down with it.  The older twin has a cough, runny nose, etc. but generally seems like she's muddling through it.  The poor baby twin has had a terrible time and is now on breathing treatments.  As of today, her fever seems to be gone, though, which is great news.  In the midst of all this, my parents were up for a visit while my hubby & dad installed new windows in our house.  Needless to say, I haven't touched my sewing machine in over a week :(

Before all this craziness went down, I made a dress for a friend of mine.  She liked the sundresses I've been making for little girls and wanted a grown up version!  Her requirements were that it be purple (her fave color) and not girly.  This is what I came up with!


I found the fabric at JoAnn's and liked how it included both dark purple and lavender.  Also it wasn't floral, but kind of a fun swirly design that almost reminded me of a tattoo.  I didn't really use a pattern, but fitted it to myself as we are almost the same size (she's just several inches shorter than me). 


The bodice is lined with a piece on the inside, shaped with darts for fit, and then I gathered the top and bottom edge of another piece of fabric and stitched the two pieces right sides together for kind of a pleated bodice look.


I made some simple straps and attached them.  That was fun, trying to fit and pin the straps on myself while holding up the bodice, haha.


After making the girls' Easter dresses, I now have a great love for fabric covered buttons, which I used to close this dress in the back. 

Overall, I am really pleased with how this dress turned out.  I have mailed it to her, so I am anxiously awaiting the results of how it fits.  She has seen pictures and loved it, which is great!  I think I might make one for myself...only no purple for me.  This sewing for adults thing might not be so bad!



2 comments:

  1. This is really cute! I like the pleating on the front, a nice detail but not "little-girl." (Although I will say if it was appropriate for a 40-year old to wear ruffled skirts, I'd be all over them!!) ;) I do share your love for fabric covered buttons. I am positive your friend will look fabulous and love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the fabric-covered buttons....I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!