Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sewing for ME! My Easter Skirt

Way back when I first learned how to sew, I did a fair amount of sewing for myself.  This was in high school, so I really didn't have anyone else to sew for!  Obviously in the past two years, I have done a ton of sewing, but basically 0% of it has been for me.  

I've been enjoying the Sewing for Me series hosted by KOJO and Sewing in No Man's Land.  When I received some fabric from a friend at church and this absolutely adorable aqua dot print was in the pile, I was inspired to make myself something!  Here is my Easter skirt!


There wasn't much of the fabric...maybe 1/2 a yard, so I had to be creative with my cuts.  I ended up lining the skirt with some white broadcloth, which worked out fine because I was able to make it long enough.  I don't think it would have been too cute to show up at church in a mid-thigh length skirt!  The front panel features two pleats, which give it some shape and pleats are just always fun, right?


The waistband is made to fit perfectly just below my waist and the back simply zips with a 9" zipper (although don't look too closely at the stitches around my zipper...yikes).  I added a couple of darts both for shape and fit.


I didn't really use a pattern for this, although I followed a few of the steps from Melanie's chevron skirt tutorial.  I love that skirt too and I think I need some chevron fabric!  Overall I am happy with my new skirt.  Now I just need a cute top to match!



Is anyone else sewing for Easter?  I have the girls' dresses and headbands done.  I just need to get some photos taken when the girls are feeling cooperative (cough, cough...LOL)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!