Friday, March 9, 2012

The Haven Top Sew-Along Day 3: Sleeves and Finishing Up

If you have been following along, you should now have a completed bodice, minus the sleeves!  Today we will add the sleeves and finish up the top.  You'll have it ready just in time for the spring weather that has hit, at least here in the midwest (don't tell me it's going to be cold next week...I don't want to know!)!


*For Day 1 (pattern & pieces) click here and for Day 2 (assembling the bodice) click here!*

For the sleeves, first take your two sleeve bands and iron them in half lengthwise.


Line up the raw edge of each strip with the long flat edge of each sleeve.  Stitch in place, using a 1/2" seam allowance.


Finish the seam by serging, zig zag stitching, or cutting with pinking shears and press it with your iron up towards the sleeve.


Turn the sleeve over and topstitch on the sleeve 1/8" from the seam.  This will give your sleeve a nice professional look, as well as lock your seam in place.


Set the sleeves aside for a moment and take your two lower shirt pieces.  Line up the front and back pieces with your front and back bodice.  Stitch, right sides together, and finish the seams.  Press the seams down towards the bottom of the shirt.


Take your two sleeves and fit them into the armholes.  With right sides together, carefully pin the sleeves in place and stitch them to the bodice.  Finish the seams.


Lay out your shirt, right sides together, and carefully line up the underarm seam, bottom edge of the sleeves and bottom edge of the shirt.  Pin, then stitch the shirt together all the way down each side and finish the seams.



Take your two bottom band pieces and stitch the short ends together, creating a tube.  Press the seams open.


Iron the band in half, wrong sides together.  Slide the tube up over the bottom of your shirt, lining up the raw edges and matching your side seams.  Pin in place.


Stitch the band to the bottom of your shirt all the way around using a 1/2" seam allowance.  Finish the seam.


Flip the band down and press the seam with your iron up towards the shirt.  Topstitch on the shirt 1/8" from the seam.  


Now stand back and admire your work!  You just made a super cute top for spring and summer!


I hope you had fun sewing along!  If you have any questions, please let me know!  Also, if you made a top, I'd love to see it!  You can upload a photo to my flickr group, or leave a comment with a link to your blog post.  If I have enough to share, I'll do a round-up in a week or so and showcase everyone's work!  Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I definitely want to make one for my grand baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you should make a grown up version of this shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have identical twin girls too! I just finished one of these shirts and can't wait for the girls to wake up so i can try it on them! I will make the second one tomorrow!
    I saw this tut on sewset. Or maybe it was another of your tuts but it led me to this one.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!