Tuesday, November 29, 2011

New Ironing Board Cover! (Sort of a tutorial :) )

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving!  We had a great time visiting with family, but after over 14 hours in the car, we were all glad to get home.  We had two wild girls dancing and whooping around the house when we got here...at 12:30 AM!  It was crazy.  They quickly realized how tired they were and hit the hay :)

Now that we're trying to get back into the swing of things, I'm working on Christmas gifts and simultaneously being more and more disgusted by my old ironing board cover.  It's the one that came on it and it's cute enough, but it's stained, cut (by my scissors...whoops) and has interfacing stuck to it in various places.  I decided it was time for a new one, and whipped one up!

It was pretty simple.  First I just laid out my fabric (an old tablecloth...yay for upcycling!) and then turned my ironing board upside-down on the wrong side of the fabric.


Then I took my fabric pen and traced around the outside edge, leaving about 3" between my line and the edge of the board.  This was no scientific measurement - I just took the amount of the original cover that was wrapped around the bottom (about 2" on my board) and then added about an inch to make a casing for my drawstring.  It's a little hard to see, but you can see my purple fabric pen line in this picture.


I cut the whole thing out, folded around the perimeter 1/2" and ironed down, then another 1/2" and ironed down, then stitched close to the edge.  When I got to the corners and the top curve, I had to pleat them a bit, but once you insert your drawstring or your elastic, no one will be able to tell, as you can see in the picture below!



My original cover had a drawstring so I just recycled that and pulled it through with a safety pin.  You could also insert elastic into your casing and use that...just measure the perimeter of your board and then cut that much elastic.  Insert the elastic and test fit it onto your board.  Figure out how tight to pull it, then pin the elastic at that point and stitch it together and close up your casing.  And you have a pretty new ironing board cover!  


Now that my family is healthy and we are back from our Thanksgiving trip, I will get back on track with the Handmade Christmas tutorials this week.  I have a cute tote bag to share with you, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!