Saturday, October 15, 2011

KCWC Day 6: I fixed it

For the majority of my sewing hour today, I ended up ripping out the neckline from the knit dresses and fixing them.  I told you I wasn't happy with them.  Apparently I was unhappy enough to take the time to rip it all out and do it again.  The good news is, it was worth it.  I'm quite happy with the neckline now and no longer embarrassed to have anyone look closely at my stitching.  


When I put the dresses on the girls yesterday, I could tell neck fit a little large, so I solved that problem by doing a small gather, which brought it all in just enough for a much better fit.  I cut my "bias strip" of knit fabric a bit larger this time which made it easier to work with.  I was a good girl and didn't use the cheater method of putting the bias strip in...I did it the right way.  For some great info on that, check out Dana's tutorial.  Also, I busted out the twin needle again.  It gave it a good stretch stitch and just looks nicer, I think.  So yay, even though it was a pain, I'm glad I did it.

I also whipped up these matching headbands for the girls!  


They are so cute and super easy to do.  There are about a million and a half tutorials online for how to make the poufy little flower...KoJo Designs has a great one here.  For the headbands, I simply cut two strips of the knit fabric and tapered the ends so the part on top of their heads is about 2" wide and the part at the back, at the neckline, is about 1" wide.  I stitched them wrong sides together, turned them right side out, turned the ends under and stitched them together.  Nothing fancy!  I hot glued the poufy flower on because I'm feeling lazy today and it was easier than sewing it on.  Now we're all ready for church tomorrow!  Sorry, no pics of the girls in the headbands...they are supposed to be napping now! 

So, what will tomorrow bring for the closing day of the challenge?  I have no idea.  It's football day, so there might just be some sewing planning going on as we watch the games :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!