Friday, October 14, 2011

KCWC Day 5: Knit Dress with Ruffled Skirt (finished!)

Yay!  The knit dress is done!


I have to say, this was one of the more time consuming projects I have sewn for my girlies, for a few reasons.  First of all, I just didn't have a ton of sewing time over the past few days, so getting my hour in was already a challenge.  Secondly, the jersey knit was something I have not worked with too often, so I was more careful than usual.  Plus, I really just wanted to get this one right, so I actually took my time, sewing slowly, pinning a lot, etc.  


I have to say, I am very pleased with how this dress turned out!  I am especially thrilled with the skirt.  It came out exactly how I had envisioned it!  In the end, it was worth all the time it took to cut and ruffle all those strips, measure and place and pin them carefully, and then sew them down.  


The bodice is fine, nothing fancy there.  I'm not incredibly thrilled with the neckline and I'm still entertaining thoughts of ripping it out and doing it again, but for now I'm sticking with it :)  After doing two of them, I'm kind of over it at the moment.  The fit is fine, it's just that my stitches got a little wonky trying to catch both sides of the "bias tape" and that's mostly because I'm lazy and can't possibly sew it in the correct way :)


I busted out the twin needle and used that to hem the sleeves and the bottom of the skirt.  You can't see the skirt hem because of the ruffles, but I know it's there and it makes me happy that I did it well.


Two more days left of the challenge and I am not 100% sure what I'll be making.  I might start planning some spring outfits, because let's face it...once the holidays hit, life will be chaos (more than normal!) and there will not be as much sewing going on around here as usual!  For now we're just going to enjoy the fact that it's Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I love these knit dresses. Soooo many ruffles - there can never be enough!
    Jenny
    www.seaminglysmitten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!